We are frequently asked whether it's appropriate or expected to leave a tip for a massage therapist. Here are some handy tips to help you figure out that pesky tipping thing:
- Tipping is always appreciated, but is neither expected nor required at Breathe.
- Tipping for massage generally varies by setting - normally tips of 10-20% are expected in spas, but no tips are expected in a doctor or chiropractor's office. Breathe Yoga and Massage doesn't fall very cleanly in either of these categories, so it can be a little confusing.
- Our massage therapists are very well trained and are therefore paid more than therapists at most of the "membership" massage studios, but tipping is a nice way to recognize an exceptional massage. Scheduling your next appointment and recommending your therapist to a friend are other great ways to show appreciation.
- The most important thing to know is that coming back more frequently for massage benefits everybody involved. You get the benefit of additional massage, and the therapist gets additional income.
- In summary – feel free to tip to show appreciation for an exceptional massage, but don't tip so much that you can't afford to come back for more massage. We want to see you come back to take care of yourself - and your therapist!